Study history A-Z

Study History – from A to Z

On this page you will find the answer to specific questions on studying at our department, in alphabetical order.

If you cannot find the information you need, look at Lund University’s webpage:

Note that exchange students might have other instructions, please consult your coordinator!

Application/acceptance | Approved_leave_from_studies | Attendance | Career_Services | Certificate_of_study_and_certificate_of_grades | Compendiums | Course_Evaluations | Credits | CSN/Student_Finance | Canvas |Deferment_of_studies_when_admitted | Degrees | Dishonesty_and_plagiarism | E-mail | Examination | Illness | Instruction | Insurance | KLIO | Ladok | Library_and_library_cards | Literature | Live(at)Lund | Lost_and_Found | LU-card | LUVIT | LUX_&_SOL | Minor_Field_Studies | Nations | Pausing_your_studies | Reception | Registration_and_re-registration | Schedule | Scholarships | Semesters | SI-PASS | Student_account/LU-account | Student_Council | Student_Rights | Studentlund | Study_abroad | Syllabus | Writing_groups


All applications to courses or programmes at the Department of History are done via Up-to-date course offerings are gathered on one webpage. Please note that all courses are not offered every semester. More information for our courses and programmes on Applications and Acceptance. For a guide to the online application, see Courses in English.

Approved leave from studies

Students taking separate courses cannot take a pause in their studies. Instead, a re-registration at a later time is done as space allows. See Registration and re-registration. If you are studying on a degree programme, you can apply for approved leave from studies, if you need to take a break for some reason. Contact the academic advisor for information.


See each respective course syllabus for information about group exercises and seminars that are obligatory. Absence is compensated according to the teacher’s directions.  

Career Services

The Department of History cooperates with the career services-coordinator for Humanities and Theology. There are services here aimed at those who are studying at the Faculties of Humanities and Theology as concerning contact with working life during and after your studies. Career Services is located in the SOL-Centre (Absalon House, bottom floor, room A141b).

Certificate of study and certificate of grades

If you need a certificate, or transcript of records, for your studies with a signature and a stamp, you can get this from the administrator (or the academic advisor) at the department, or at the reception in LUX. 


Compendiums are collections of course literature that have been put together by your teacher. These compendiums can be purchased at the LUX reception in the lobby. For opening hours, see their webpage.

Course Evaluations

Evaluations are arranged for most of the sub-courses and for all courses. A copy of the summarization is available at the department and on the course websites. Contact the Director of Studies if you wish to know more. 


University studies are counted in Higher Education points, or credits (hp). The normal study time for a full-time course is one semester (30 hp-ECTS), 1.5 hp per week for 20 weeks. Such a full-time course is equivalent to a 40-hour work week. There are courses that are given with more or fewer points, at full-time or part-time pace.  

CSN / Student Finance

CSN stands for The Swedish Board for Student Finance which works with the loans and grants that can be granted to students. Contact CSN if you have questions about loans and student aid, for example, for studies abroad. 


Some of our teachers also use, aside from the course webpage, a teaching platform called Canvas. Information about Canvas is given by the teacher. Notice that a student id is used to give students access to Canvas. For registration and transcripts, see Student accounts/LU-account. 

Deferment of studies when admitted

Students admitted to a programme have the opportunity to apply for a deferment of studies if there are special grounds. Contact the Academic advisor for more information.


History can be the major of a Bachelor’s degree as well as one and two-year Master’s degrees. When it is time to apply for a degree certificate, you will find the forms and instructions on Lund University Degree Office’s webpage. Follow the link below for more information about how a degree in history might look. 

Dishonesty and plagiarism

The Ordinance for Higher Education’s 10th chapter states that “Disciplinary measures may be invoked against students who use prohibited aids or other methods to attempt to deceive during examinations or other forms of assessment of study performance.” This leads to warnings or expulsion from university studies. Students involved in disciplinary cases may seek support and advice from the Studentombud at Lund University Student Unions. 

Avoid copying the whole, or parts, of a text. Plan your studies so that you are not tempted to do so when pressed for time. The academic approach to work is built upon gathering ideas from others - and then it is important to make proper use of the techniques to inform where the thoughts/ideas came from. You cannot use the same home-exam for different courses. 

Get more information about how to avoid plagiarism and academic dishonesty: 


See Student accounts/LU-account (StiL) on how to activate your student e-mail.


Different types of examination are used in the department’s courses. For example, written exams, oral exams, and take-home exams can be used. See your course syllabus for information about the examination form used in your course. Read more on examination


If you become ill for a longer time, you are to inform The Swedish Agency for Social Insurance (Försäkringskassan). If you have been incapable of studies for more than 14 days, and not been reported as ill, you risk having to pay back student-aid. If you are home with a sick child or relative, you are to report this to CSN. 

You do not need to report temporary illnesses to the department. However, it is important that you maintain a dialogue with the current teacher if you miss an obligatory part of your instruction, which will need to be made up. Absence from the introductory meeting should always be reported to the administrator.  


We can offer you instruction only during the semester that you have been accepted for. If you are for some reason behind with your studies, and will continue in a later term, you may be able to do this. In this case, you must re-register for the course. See Registration and re-registration. Notice that the Department of History is at LUX, Helgonavägen 3. This is where most education, group exercises and SI-PASS-meetings take place. Instruction and written exams can take place at other places; see your schedule. The reception at LUX can help you locate the locales. Schedule, literature list, and course syllabus are on your course webpage.  


As a student, you have the right to compensation if you are subject to an accident during your studies. 


KLIO is an association for students and former students at the Department of History for meeting similarly minded people. Every semester the association arranges lectures on historical themes, dinners, game nights, and other fun activities. Go and be a history nerd.


Ladok is the system for the documentation of study results for higher education used in Sweden. You can see your information in Ladok and create a verifiable certificate in the Student Portal (see Student accounts).

Library and library cards

Course literature to be borrowed for students of history is primarily available at the LUX library. There are also study areas here. You can print from the computers in the library, and you can also copy. To be able to print, copy, and borrow, you need a library card and student ID (see Student account). The Department of History belongs to the LUX-library, which in turn belongs to HT-libraries – but as a student in Lund you can use all libraries at the university.  Read more about how you can get a LU-card, and create a borrower’s account, at the HT-libraries’ webpage. Library cards are activated by visiting one of the LUB-libraries in person. You must show an approved photo id.  


A literature list is found on your course webpage. This literature needs purchasing or borrowing, see the library for information. Compendiums are purchased at the LUX reception in the lobby. For opening hours, see their webpage. 


The teaching platform called Live(at)Lund is no longer in use at the department. See Canvas instead. For registration and transcripts, see Student accounts/LU-account. 

Lost and Found

Articles that are found can be retrieved at the reception in the lobby of LUX.


To be able to easily move around in LUX, you need an access card, the LU-card. It also functions as your library card. The card costs nothing and it is fast and easy to get it. 

  • LU-card


The teaching platform called Luvit is no longer in use at the department. See Canvas instead.


Teaching is done at the buildings SOL and LUX, the Humanities and Theology centre. For more information about the buildnings, see LUX & SOL:


Nations in Lund offer a broad assortment of activities for students. As a member, you can eat cheap food, apply for living arrangements, take part in sports, and visit night clubs. There are 13 nations in Lund and you can visit Studentlund to find one that fits you. 

Pausing your studies

If you notice already at the start that you are not going to be able to finish the course or programme, you should give notice about this so-called early pause within three weeks via the Student Portal or to our administrator. By making an early non-completion you will have the opportunity to apply as usual for the same education in a later semester. After the first three weeks, students who wish to end their studies can pause their studies. It is not possible to have priority over others for a course that you have already been registered for. For re-registration, see Registration and re-registration. 


The reception is in the lobby in LUX. Here, you can purchase compendiums on your literature list, get a certificate of study, pay for parking, etc. Opening hours during the terms is normally weekdays 9:00-16:00.  

Registration and re-registration

We can, without question, offer you instruction only during the semester that you have been accepted for. Make sure that you are registered in your course in the study-documentation system Ladok. The subject of history has web-registration for most courses. You can also register with the administrator at the department. 

If you are for some reason behind with your studies, and want to continue in a later semester, you may be able to do this. In this case, you must re-register for the course. It is not possible to have priority over others for a course that you have already been registered for – re-registration is done as space allows. Students have the right to take exams according to an old syllabus and literature list one year after the course has changed; after this it is the rules and literature applicable for the present course that will be in effect. You can re-register at the administrator’s office during the semester. Read more about the university’s list of rights below.  See also Approved leave from studies. 


If there are bookings at campus, the course’s schedule is found via the course webpage. Read the course syllabus carefully to see what instruction is obligatory as to not miss it.  


Scholarships are monetary gifts that can be applied for by, among others, students and researchers. Several scholarships are handed out by foundations and by applying to these as a student you have the possibility to cover costs for course literature, travel for thesis writing, and other costs during your studies. The Department of History has no scholarships of its own, but there are scholarships aimed specially to students in Lund. 


The academic-year is comprised of two semesters. The fall semester starts the Monday falling closest to the 1st of September and goes for 20 weeks. The spring semester starts 20 weeks after the start of the autumn semester’s start (often around 18-19 January), and goes for 20 weeks until around June 7th. During the terms, there are no breaks.


SI-PASS (Supplemental Instruction-Peer Assisted Study Sessions), or SI-mentors, helps students to succeed on their courses. In the history subject, this is only done on the Swedish courses in the First Circle. For more information, see European Centre for SI-PASS

Student account/LU-account

You need your student identity to manage your student email, check your grades online, copy at the library, etc. The department uses your LU email address when we communicate with students. This is needed as well to get access to Luvit or Live(a)Lund, if your teacher uses any of these teaching platforms. Your student identity, including the password, is sent to the email address given to after you have been accepted to a course or programme or registered as a new student in Ladok. If you have problems with login in, have not received your student identity, or if you have forgotten your password, contact the Studentportalens support.

Student Council

The supervision of education at Lund University is done by nine student-bodies comprised of associations of students studying the same subjects. By having student representation at all of the boards, a high quality of education can be maintained. The Department of History’s education is supervised by the Student Body of Humanities and Theology (HTS) through the student council at the department. If you have opinions about your education, you should contact the student-council. 

Student Rights

As a student at Lund University you have a number of rights that, among others, the Department of History and your Student Union work to maintain. Read about the so-called list of rights. 


Lund’s student life is comprised of a collective of several nations, student bodies, and the Academic Society (AF). Through a membership in Student you get, as a student, access to interesting lectures, supervision of education, scholarships, inexpensive living arrangements, good food, night clubs, and other exciting activities. The large majority of activities at the student organizations in Lund are only available for members of Studentlund. You can become a member in Studentlund by applying on their webpage:

Study Abroad

As a student at Lund University, you may have the opportunity to study abroad at another university. You should apply through The International Office on the Faculties of Humanities and Theolog.


History can be read within a degree programme, or taken as a free standing course, where several different subjects are combined to comprise an education. Regardless of form, every education is build up by courses, and the course is regulated by a course syllabus. The course syllabus is your contract. It informs of the course’s contents, set up, and the examination, and it also includes what you as a student should know after completing the course. The course syllabus is found on your course webpage. The syllabus for the programmes are found under Education. Read it carefully. 

Writing groups

Students writing their thesis are recommended to organize their own academic writing group.

See Instructions for academic writing groups (Skrivargrupper):

Student life

Your electronic student account in Lund

Academic glossary


Page Manager: sofia.hermanssonhist.luse | 2023-11-30